Thursday, October 16, 2008

Dinosuars, Violence, Dancing Buildings oh my!

Another exhibit, another hit, another "fun" experience (fun as in good)
After the initial low budget, drab, hot locations, we have finally started to arrive at the pinnacle of shanghai [commercial] art. But lets not make comparisons to the art at Comfort, or the art at Ke Art Center, we'll keep our review as positive as possible. I found that Biennial Exhibit, for all it's cash flow and uniformity, to be still full of creativity and innovation. Perhaps it is my own limited exposure to modern art but the Shanghai Biennial seems to bring the best of both worlds.

A grand building, it's a shame I didn't take any pictures of the entrance, or the outside of the building. On the outside you are greeted by two of the largest pieces of artwork in the exhibit. Multicolored massive ants crawling up the wall of the exhibition, and a large rusting antique train. It sends a clear message, the theme is translocomotion, and that this is a legitimate art exhibit. Not a lot of subtly, it's an eye catcher through and through.

And perhaps reflecting on our experience, the Shanghai Biennial is a people magnet because that is it's purpose. Similar to a national history museum, or a science museum they are as much there to educate and display information as to entertain. The question is then, does big budget, big pockets, and ultimately ulterior motives distort the art?

No, I don't think so, or at least not yet. The following are several superb pieces that I feel display both theme (an old theme granted) and display ingenuity.
Aptly named Colorful Running Dinosaurs, these pieces definitely fit the bill for entertainment. Lots of Asian tourists (me included) are ogling at the beasts, posing in front and making peace signs or another cute gesture to take pictures. The dino-men are simply a wonder to look at in terms of size, color, and number. I wanted to take a picture in front the dinosaur, but alas I was too embarrassed. But it's really ironic that people would smile and take a picture with the hulking beasts. Their smiles, laughing faces are send a sad message to me. More then the circus or automobiles, this exhibit reminds me of lemmings, of to the slaughter. The people that are taking pictures, forced to stand close because of the width of the hall, seem also to be dumbfound, smiling away. Translocomotion, all lined up ready to go meet or extinction, happily doing it all the while. Yue MinJun, the creator of this exhibit, manges to deliver his subtle message in this audacious piece of art.Next is the also aptly named violent cartoon Savage Growth. It reminds me of the Itchy and Scratchy show, except not funny. As part of the attention-less, ADD generation (ironic translocomotion?) I have always had a soft heart for moving pictures. That said I am not usually a fan of the movie style pieces. They are in my personal opinion unprofessional, boring, and displayed poorly. Savage Growth was most definitely displayed poorly, in a dark little corner, with a single seat in the middle of the room with a mid-quality projector. But even as I was walking by, I couldn't help myself, I peeked in. The music, the artwork, and the engrossing violence all capture me, sink line and hook. Michelle my partner, seems sort of antsy, and leaves prematurely (a difference in taste), but I there to stay, eyes glued to the screen. I watch the entire sequence two times through. This piece is glaringly obvious in it's message. Two headless persons representing nations building weapons, urbanizing, competing in every fashion. Planes clash, and workers mechanically pave the foundation for gigantic high-rises. Like red lettering on the wall it's message is loud and clear, and it's bold rough strokes, and violent animation depict those red characters to the letter. Urbanization can one day be the death of us. The enemy of my enemy is ambition.

As usual, we save the best for last, and as for the my theme of creatively entertaining this most certainly fits the bill.
It's not pretty, it color choice is sort of drab. It's not "important", it's located at the wing of the exhibit. But it is fun to play with. I walk in to the semi-circular room. Wait... Why are the walls moving. Like the "slow" person I am, I don't get it... I see others in the exhibit moving up and down and think, weird, but nothing strikes me as odd about the exhibit. It seems like another prerecorded video, blah. But to my surprise, Michelle, who has been putting up with me this entire time, explains the exhibit to me. If you dance, the pictures dance with you. (above) So that's me, in building form. But again, this isn't just entertainment, isn't just Hollywood. This is the Biennial, an art exhibition at it's heart. And this exhibit I feel has the modern, most relevant message of all. Called Shanghai, shall we dance?, this piece reflects the growing involvement of the population in urbanization. Increasingly, Chinese people, Shanghainese are supporting and resisting change in the city. With three images in total, together the Chinese will shape their own future. It's a complex message delivered in a simple manner that is almost instantaneously understood (for me slightly slower).

And on that positive note, China, modern art in Shanghai, urbanization is all on the rise, whether for the good or for the bad, this exhibit has shown that they/we are in it together. My verdict? The Biennial is not Hollywood, and that's a good thing, but it's just nearly as entertaining.
Oh, and this is my museum partner Michelle, whom put up with me, and whose pictures I stole! Thank you Michelle.

1 comment:

cardinale said...

>> Few remarks:

After the initial low budget, drab, hot locations, we have finally started to arrive at the pinnacle of shanghai [commercial] art.
>>What makes you think Biennial is commercial? It is staged at a public museum in Shanghai. It is a govt-funded event.
Shanghai Biennial seems to bring the best of both worlds.


>>How can we differentiate between education and entertainment, do you think they are collapsing into one pool?
educate and display information or to entertain. The question is then, does big budget, big pockets, and ultimately ulterior motives distort the art?

>>What are some of the budget estimates you have?
No, I don't think so, or at least not yet. The following are several superb pieces that I feel display both theme (an old theme granted) and display ingenuity.

>>How does the dinosaur explain it all?
Aptly named Colorful Running Dinosaurs, these pieces definitely fit the bill for entertainment.
>>Good to credit peers!
--